Saturday, September 27, 2008

New Reason for Seniors to Avoid Fruit Juices

A recent article on highlights a new reason why seniors need to avoid not only grapefruit juice, but other kinds of juice as well.

Certain drug prescription bottles have contained a warning about grapefruit and grapefruit juice for quite some time. Apparently grapefruit can substantially increase the absorption of certain drugs possibly turning normal doses into toxic overdoses.

Now, researchers are reporting new evidence indicates grapefruit juice and other fruit juices substantially decrease the oral absorption of certain drugs. According to the article, "the concern is loss of benefit of medications essential for treatment of serious medical conditions."

Be sure to check with your pharmacist and read the information included with your prescriptions to make sure you are not under or overdosing yourself.

Researchers have already found over 50 drugs that are affected and more are likely to be added to the list as further studies are performed.

Have you checked your prescriptions for potential problems with what you eat or drink? Please do so today? And, feel free to leave a comment with your opinion of these findings.

No comments: